AGROBACTER | ISTOCK.COM
September might seem too early to begin thinking about saving money on winter electric bills, but implementing these 10 tips can help you prepare for the colder months ahead.
- Seal air leaks and add insulation to prevent heated air from escaping and cold air from entering your home.
- Reduce wasted heat by installing a programmable thermostat.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Lower your water heater temperature to the recommended 120-degree setting.
- Unplug electronics like kitchen appliances and TVs when not in use.
- Close blinds and curtains at night to help keep cold, drafty air out.
- Open blinds and curtains during the day to allow the sun’s rays to warm your home.
- Use power strips for multiple appliances and turn off the strip when those appliances are not in use.
- Wash clothes in cold water with a cold-water laundry detergent to maximize cleaning efficiency.
- Replace incandescent lightbulbs with LEDs to improve efficiency by at least 75%.
Posted: 9/4/2020 11:00:00 AM