Government-in-Action Youth Tour
In June, BEC sends deserving students on an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C as part of the Electric Cooperative Government-in-Action Youth Tour. Students will spend an entire week in Washington, D.C. experiencing all the capital has to offer. While in D.C., the students have the opportunity to visit many of the nation’s exciting museums, memorable landmarks and meet other students from around Texas and the United States.
The contest and trip are part of the National Electric Cooperative Government-in-Action Youth Tour hosted each year by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA). Electric cooperatives from across the country sponsor students from their respective service territories to attend this exciting event each year.
The Youth Tour was first suggested by President Lyndon B. Johnson while he was a Texas senator. His vision to send "youngsters to the national capital where they can actually see what the flag stands for and represents" came to fruition in 1965. Bandera Electric sent its first Youth Tour participant in 1972 and we have sent students each year since 1985.
for more information. Click here
to view Photos from the 2018 Youth Tour!
• Applicants must have completed sophomore, junior or senior year of high school by June 2022.
• Parents or legal guardians must be members of Bandera Electric Cooperative or receive BEC service at their residence.
• The winner must be able to participate in the Youth Tour trip to Washington D.C. June 12-21, 2022.
• The winner must be able to fly in an airplane and ride in a car or bus for up to 12 hours a day (with breaks).
• Past winners are not eligible.
• Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
How To Apply
The 2022 Youth Tour application will open online September 15, 2021.
The deadline for applications is February 15, 2022.
What you'll need:
• BEC Member Account Number and Service Address
• An essay of 500 words or less answering the prompt "Which of the rights guaranteed by the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution do you consider the most important?"
• A clear, high quality student photo. If you are selected as a winner, this photo will be used in digital and print publications, so make sure it's a good one!
Winners are chosen by the New Braunfels Area Community Foundation (NBACF). The NBACF will field all applicants, filter those applicants based on criteria set up by BEC, and administer and monitor all Youth Tour applications through an anonymous process.
If you have questions about the BEC Youth Tour application process please contact NBACF at (830) 606-9597 or by email at Betty@nbacf.org.