BEC Scholarship Program
Bandera Electric is committed to the leaders of tomorrow, and we encourage members and their children to work hard and follow their dreams. We offer scholarships to local high school and home-schooled graduating seniors, and college students. BEC scholarships may be applied toward tuition, fees and expenses at any accredited four-year university or college, junior college, or TEA-approved technical or trade school that offers an associate degree.
Each year, Bandera Electric awards ten $2,500 scholarships.
Recipients of the scholarships will be chosen based on the following:
- Financial necessity
- Written essay
- Participation in community/school activities
- Parent(s)or legal guardians must be members of Bandera Electric Cooperative or receive BEC service at their residence and provide written verification from the member-owner of the account.
- Graduating high school seniors must have maintained at least an 80 percent on a 100 percent scale.
- Students currently enrolled in post-secondary educational course work must have maintained a minimum cumulative 2.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale at an accredited four-year university/college, junior college, or TEA-approved trade school.
- Applicants must meet general admittance requirements of the accredited four-year university/college, junior college or TEA-approved trade school to which they apply to receive funds.
- Applicants may only win once.
The scholarship program was established in 1998 by Bandera Electric Cooperative to encourage and assist in the educational pursuits of its members and their immediate families. Since then, we have awarded $175,000 in scholarships!
Winners are chosen by the New Braunfels Area Community Foundation (NBACF). The NBACF will field all applicants, filter those applicants based on criteria set up by BEC, and administer and monitor all scholarship grants through an anonymous process.
The 2019 scholarship application closed February 13, 2019.
If you have questions about the BEC Scholarship application process please contact NBACF at (830) 606-9597 or by email at Betty@nbacf.org.