Ten area outstanding students have been selected as recipients of the BEC Scholarship, an award of $2,500 for the 2019-2020 school year.
The scholarship is offered to full-time students attending any accredited four-year university, junior college or TEA-approved technical trade school which offers an associate degree.
The 10 recipients are:
- Joshua Barraza—Texas Tech University
- Hunter Beaton—Boerne High School
- Laryd Dugat—Leakey ISD
- Henry Hornfischer—Austin High School
- Calsey Kay—Utopia ISD
- Mattie Morrison—Bandera High School
- Ashlyn Persyn—Bandera High School
- Samantha Poisal—Comfort High School
- Eileen Zinsmeister—Medina Valley High School
- Jasen Zirkel—Tivy High School
The New Braunfels Area Community Foundation selected the winners through an anonymous process based on written essay, financial necessity and participation in community and school activities.
The scholarship program was established by BEC in 1998 to encourage and assist in educational pursuits of its members and their immediate families. Since then, BEC has awarded more than $200,000 in scholarships. As a cooperative, BEC is guided by the Seven Cooperative Principles, which includes “Education, Training and Information.”