Students can apply for an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C.
Since their founding more than 80 years ago, Texas’ electric cooperatives have been committed to empowering the communities they serve. Of course, that mission includes providing electricity, but it’s so much more than that. Co-ops not only power homes and businesses across rural and suburban Texas but also invest time, energy and compassion into improving their members’ quality of life.
That means investing in our young people—the leaders of tomorrow. And one of the main ways Bandera Electric Cooperative works to empower local youths is through the Government-in-Action Youth Tour, a weeklong, guided trip to Austin and Washington, D.C.
This year, BEC is proud to sponsor four high school students from its service area to participate in Youth Tour, June 11-19.
Texas’ electric cooperatives sent their first Youth Tour delegation to Washington in 1965. The group of 58 deserving teens joined their peers from across Co-op Country to explore the capital, meet with their congressional representatives to discuss important issues and broaden their view of the world. Since then, more than 4,400 Texas students have gone on the unforgettable trip.
To become part of this enduring legacy and represent BEC on Youth Tour, apply now for the essay contest.
Eligible entrants must:
• Applicants must have completed sophomore, junior or senior year of high school by June 2023.
• Parents or legal guardians must be members of Bandera Electric Cooperative or receive BEC service at their residence.
• The winner must be able to participate in the Youth Tour trip to Washington D.C. June 11-19, 2023.
• The winner must be able to fly in an airplane and ride in a car or bus for up to 12 hours a day (with breaks).
• Past winners are not eligible.
• Applicants must be U.S. Citizens..
Applications must be submitted online by February 15.
For more information about Youth Tour, visit TexasYouthTour.com and YouthTour.org.
Winners are chosen by the New Braunfels Area Community Foundation (NBACF). The NBACF will field all applicants, filter those applicants based on criteria set up by BEC, and administer and monitor all Youth Tour applications through an anonymous process. If you have questions about the BEC Youth Tour application process, please contact NBACF at (830) 606-9597 or by email at Betty@nbacf.org.