Frances "Fran" Laue
District 2 Director
Fran Laue was appointed to the BEC board in June 2016. During her tenure on the board of BEC, the cooperative launched innovative initiatives to improve the lives of members while maintaining low rates and high reliability:
● Initiated the development of a fiber network to improve BEC’s electric grid which allowed for high-speed internet and digital phone services to BEC members. Currently, 12,000 members are using BEC Fiber in their homes and businesses.
● Started offering solar energy options to include consultation, installation of solar arrays, back-up battery storage, time-of-use rates, and community solar program.
● Developed real-time monitoring of energy usage through BEC’s proprietary Apolloware that allows the cooperative to better manage and detect issues within its grid and lets members identify usage issues, monitor major appliances, and pinpoint problem areas.
● Implemented energy audits and financing of low interest loans for energy-saving improvements to member homes and businesses through Apolloware Saver, Energy Saver, and Solar Saver programs. Over 900 members are enrolled in these programs.
● Kept energy rates flat until continued inflation of prices for energy, services, and materials required recent rate changes to maintain financial strength. BEC will continue to have rates among the lowest in Texas while maintaining electric reliability measures among the best in Texas.
Since joining the board, Fran has attained her Credentialed Cooperative Director, Board Leadership Certificate, and Director Gold designations through the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association. She and her late husband, James Webb, purchased their Bandera property in 2010 and moved here in 2014. Originally from a rural farming community in Wyoming, she moved to San Antonio in 1986 after completing her B.A. in Environmental Biology at the University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
Now retired, Ms. Laue was the Director of Market Research at San Antonio Express-News for 9 years and was in USAA’s Corporate Research Department for 13 years, including 5 years in executive management. Prior to then, she supported training evaluation and performance measurement initiatives for the U.S. Air Force in her role as Senior Scientist at UES, Inc.
Fran also currently serves on the boards of the Bandera Kronkosky Public Library and the Wing of the Aerospace Medical Association. She previously served for several years on these boards: Tournament Leadership Council for the Valero Texas Open, Express-News Federal Credit Union, and the Young Women’s Christian Association of San Antonio.