dusanpetkovic | istock.com
Want to make home efficiency upgrades but don’t know where to start? A home energy audit could help you identify solutions that could save you 5%–30% on your energy bill, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
A home energy audit can pinpoint where your home is losing energy and what you can do to save money.
Certified home energy auditors from BEC go through the following steps in a home energy audit.
1. Analyze the past year’s bills to determine base energy consumption.
2. Interview the homeowner to learn about problems and how the home operates.
3. Explain the audit process.
4. Conduct an inspection of the home’s interior and exterior.
5. Do a health and safety inspection.
6. Inspect appliances.
7. Perform a blower door test to detect sources of energy loss.
8. Analyze findings and create a comprehensive home energy report to show which upgrades are best for your home and your potential energy savings.
The DOE offers some common recommendations after a home energy audit:
Conduct whole-home air sealing to reduce air leakage and drafts.
Add insulation to your home’s attic, foundation or walls to prevent heat loss.
Seal and insulate ducts in unconditioned spaces.
Remove or repair any parts of the home with internal moisture or mold to improve air quality and reduce deterioration.
Improve the efficiency of heating, cooling and hot water equipment.
Install home ventilation, smart thermostats, LEDs, smart power strips, Energy Star-certified appliances and other efficient technologies that improve home performance.
If having an auditor come to your home isn’t for you, you can get started online using BEC's DIY energy audit, which can give you valuable insight into improving your home’s energy efficiency. Visit BanderaElectric.com/EnergySaver.
The right combination of improvements to your home will depend on the age and quality of current equipment, the local climate, and your home energy goals.
If you choose to participate in BEC's Energy Saver Program, you can make energy efficiency improvements for your home or business with zero-down, interest-free, on-bill financing from BEC. Visit BanderaElectric.com/EnergySaver
to learn more.
Posted: 6/9/2022 11:54:36 AM