ISTOCK.COM | EVGEN_PROZHYRKO
Here are a few precautions to take to keep your home and family safe during space heater season.
- Space heaters are not designed to be your home’s main heat source. They’re best used as supplemental heat when you want to warm up a room while you’re in it.
- Choose a space heater with a safety label from UL and insist on one with a feature that automatically turns the device off if it tips over or overheats.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from drapes and furniture that could catch fire. Keep them far away from your Christmas tree.
- Don’t use extension cords with space heaters. Move the heater closer to the outlet so you don’t need one.
- Inspect the heater’s cord periodically for frayed wire or damaged insulation. Don’t use a space heater with a damaged cord.
- Place your heater on a flat, level surface, never on upholstered furniture or bedding. The heater shouldn’t wobble, which can cause it to tip over and start a fire.
- Unless the heater is designed for use outdoors or in bathrooms, don’t use it in wet areas.
Posted: 12/9/2020 3:20:21 PM